Beep! Beep! Brexit is coming through

Brexit battles are continuing to play out in the Supreme Court this week; however, with or without a deal, what about British business? Are there matters organisations can do now if they wish to continue exporting to Europe?

Brexit: transport disruption nightmares

According to the Government’s Operation Yellowhammer, a contingency plan if we leave without a deal, there may be trouble ahead. Figures suggest between 50 and 85% of commercial vehicles may not be ready for the imposition of customs checks. Immediately, this will reduce the flow of goods to as much as 40%. This significant disruption to products in transportation is predicted to last for six months. Immediately this will severely affect the supply of fresh food and medicines.

Bad news for buses

If the UK crashes out without a deal, bus and coach drivers’ licenses will no longer be recognised. This means participation in the Interbus agreement would cease. Although the Government would seek to reapply as quickly as possible, the number of routes will be cut short.

The picture for road hauliers is slightly different as the Government is confident that it will be able to negotiate preferential agreements for seamless transportation between the EU and the UK.

Brexit boat

Licenses and permits

Post-Brexit necessary licenses and permits to reflect the new landscape are still under discussion depending on whether the UK exits with or without a deal. Commercial vehicles will require the following:

  • Hauliers with the Community license will be able to use this for a limited period regardless of deal or no deal.
  • ECMT permits are right for hauling goods from one EU country to another or exiting to non-EU countries such as Switzerland. An ECMT logbook must accompany them.
  • Relevant certificates of roadworthiness and compliance.
  • Driver Certificate of Professional Competence (CPC).

Visit Gov.UK for more details.

What about a green card?

If you want to drive in Europe post Brexit, you will need a Green Card. This international insurance certificate sis accepted in 48 countries and guarantees that you have third party cover when you’re driving in Europe. You’ll need to contact your insurer at least four weeks before you intend to drive in Europe to arrange the paperwork.

For hauliers with fleet insurance, all fleet vehicles will be expected to have their own Green Card.

For vehicles fitted with a trailer, both the vehicle and the trailer will require separate Green Cards and the trailer may need separate insurance.

If the insurance policies renew during the trip, you’ll need a Green Card for each plan.

What happens next, after Brexit?

The Road Haulage Association has an updated checklist of actions that hauliers need to take now to ensure that they’re ready for Brexit in whatever form it takes. With around four million lorries moving through Dover and the Channel Tunnel every year, the Prime Minister needs to find some practical solutions to the problems commercial vehicles face, and he needs to find them fast.

At Fuel Card Services, we know how worrying this time can be, we have professionals you can talk to about how Brexit will affect your commercial insurance at MyInsurance.Expert.

We can source the right fleet insurance quotes for free. No obligation. Our experts can negotiate significant discounts and introduce dedicated quotes for all vehicle cover probabilities. These include mixed fleet insurance, HGV specialised insurance, employer’s liability insurance, product and public liability insurance and goods in transit. The Financial Conduct Authority (FCA licence number 759713) authorises and regulates this service.

It is part of My Fleet Solutions, a range of fleet services that are free to access. Once the details of your vehicle are in place, you will be able to access them on a dashboard through My Fleet Hub.

Start by registering for free at MyInsurance.Expert

< Back to My Fleet Solutions News