Loss assessor or loss adjustor – who values your claim?

So surely, both loss assessor and loss adjustor are on your side, during home insurance claims processes? It’s just a title difference. right? Aren’t loss adjusters sent out by your home insurance provider, when you need to make a claim? Don’t they note your losses at the scene and then ensure you gain everything that your home insurance, or commercial property insurance policy, says you should be given?

These are burning questions when it comes to managing home and commercial property insurance claims. We explain the difference below.

The role of a loss assessor and loss adjustor

Aspects in which their views differ could relate to scenarios such as how much water damage has happened. A loss assessor looks at how a fire could have damaged the structure of the property, or perhaps corroded belongings. A loss adjuster may only consider cosmetic damage.

The loss adjustor might want you to compromise when it comes to replacing items, perhaps expecting you to mix and match suites, kitchen units, furniture, or bathroom fixtures. A loss assessor takes says this is not a satisfactory outcome and requests a replacement for the entire suite.

What’s the real difference?

A loss adjuster may not be easy to call when you have issues with your claim or need emotional support. A loss assessor will be there on hand, to help.

Think of the difference between a loss adjuster and a loss assessor like this. A loss assessor will strive to gain you a just settlement following home or commercial property damage from impacts such as flood, fire, escape of water, oil spillage, malicious damage by tenants, storm damage, vehicle collisions and situations such as subsidence. A loss adjuster will work towards adjusting a settlement, within which you may have to compromise or accept something that you did not feel to be right, but in the absence of the required negotiating skills, could not argue against.

Representing the insurer is the loss adjuster.They visit you to ensure you can progress your claim. They try to contain costs and the final pay-out, on behalf of their ‘employer’ – the home or property insurance company.

A loss assessor, tries to balance the scales by assisting the insured policyholder’s claim. A loss assessor battles for your rights, but to be in the ring with you, you need to appoint them.

Aspray: award winning and FCA regulated

Aspray is an award-winning ‘claims excellence’ loss assessor that we would like to let our Fuel Card Services customers know about. You can turn to these expert loss assessors for guidance and support on property damage insurance claims.

If you do not appoint your own loss assessor, you will have to deal with your home insurance claim, or the claim to cover losses at your commercial property, yourself. You will need to handle all negotiations with the loss adjuster and your insurer, provide all information required, make all phone calls, source quotes and tradesmen for the jobs required and oversee the workmen, perhaps taking time off work to do so. You will also have to make your own judgement on whether the repairs are being handled properly. If you appoint a loss assessor like Aspray, this burden is taken off your shoulders. Plus they are a member of the British Damage Management Association (BDMA).

No loss of value with Aspray

Appointing Aspray as your loss assessor does not involve commission payments and need not result in fees. In fact, once you have paid the excess on your policy, you do not have to pay for the service at all, if you use Aspray’s vetted and approved, professional contractors to carry out the required schedule of works that will reinstate your property to its pre-loss condition.

Best of all, there is no charge to you for the service if Aspray appoint and project manage the contractors as insurers pay them directly.
So the difference between a loss assessor and a loss adjustor is huge one. It typically not only achieves a better outcome for you, but also helps speed up the repair, replacement and reinstatement process, as there is no need to seek out tradesmen. Aspray manage reliable tradesmen to carry out the repairs, to get you back in your home, or in the parts of the property that have been damaged, with as little delay as possible.

If you now understand the need for a loss assessor, and you need support to handle your property insurance claim click here. Fuel Card Services customers receive a £100 voucher towards your excess upon completion (terms and conditions apply).

Register here and a loss assessor from Aspray will call you back and support you on the road to recovery.

< Back to My Business Advantage News